Sunday, April 18, 2010

Where Did All The Agriculture Go

As I travel across the southern states with my husband on his 18 wheeler truck, I demand to know what happened to the farms, where families lived off the land and worked from sun up to sun down? Don't think me naive, I saw it coming the day I left my family farm for the big city, proclaiming, ain't no way in hell am I ever coming back to this toil. My husband and I share the same core values about hard work and family, we grew up together working on the farm. What we saw today amazed us. Do you know when was the 'culture dropped and business was added to agri ? The whole food chain was traumatized, diets changed and medical issues changed.

There we were in Osceolo, Arkansas looking in dismay at the technology used in farming and questioned, how many chemicals are they using ? Of course my husband is green, however with envy of the thought of tractors with CD players and a/c, the nerve of them to come up with this stuff now that he is no longer farming.

Don't get me wrong, I support buy local and American, it just saddens me that I may be only one of a few people that yearns for the days of working the land and tending gently to the food that was produced from callous, yet loving hands.

Follow me on my blog as I travel around the country expounding on " the shady side of green".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers